In human society and its environment (HSIE), both subjects of history and geography are mandatory from Kindergarten to Year 10.
Students learn specific historical and geographical concepts and skills in history and geography. They also have an opportunity to learn more about people and the societies and environments in which they live through elective subjects.
A large number of individual subjects make up the key learning area of HSIE in which students:
- research, gather and analyse information
- question and make judgements
- write for a variety of purposes.
In Year 11 and 12, students can choose from a range of HSIE courses. These include:
- Aboriginal Studies
- Ancient History
- Business Studies
- History Extension
- Legal Studies
- Modern History
- Society and Culture.
HSIE encompasses the study of various courses in which students learn about history, geography, people, societies, and culture. In HSIE, students research, gather and analyse information; question and make judgements; write for a variety of purposes. The faculty achieved above state average results in all HSIE subjects in the 2017 HSC.
HSIE at Cabramatta High School offers the following mandatory and elective courses to students
- History; Geography; Commerce.
- Ancient History; Modern History; Business Studies; Economics; Legal Studies; Society and Culture.
- Business Services; Retail Services; Financial Services (2020 onwards).